Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Thread

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I like the Jekyl & Hyde thing going on with the two forums. I'll probably end up here more often.

Brian
    That's why we did this Jack... I love that some people will haunt one place over the other and that they may find some gem on either site. Once we get a couple of hundred people signed up over here, neither place will get quiet much.
    Good deal... damn good deal. :-)

Hi All.

Spinski signing in, long time lurker over at the other place...
    "Civilisation is only a pretense. In crisis we have become mere apes again, forgetting the rational biped of our pretensions and instead becoming the hairy primate at the mouth of the cave, screeching at the enemy wishing it would go away, fingering the heavy stone we will use the moment it comes close enough" - Orson Scott Card

Welcome spinski, I like the avatar and sig line! Always was an Orson Scott Card fan.
    You have got to be tougher than woodpecker lips.
    "Scars Are Tattoos With Better Stories"

Quote Originally Posted by ExRanger View Post
    Welcome spinski, I like the avatar and sig line! Always was an Orson Scott Card fan.
    Thanks ExRanger. Thought the quote summed up quite nicely where we're headed. The avatar is the nanochicken (it's a long story).
    "Civilisation is only a pretense. In crisis we have become mere apes again, forgetting the rational biped of our pretensions and instead becoming the hairy primate at the mouth of the cave, screeching at the enemy wishing it would go away, fingering the heavy stone we will use the moment it comes close enough" - Orson Scott Card

nano chicken... thats a first for me.

Hello to everyone...
    "Put that bloody cigarette out."
    Hector Hugh Munro
    Just before being killed by a sniper, 14 November 1916

Good morning, scurry. Welcome to doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflower View Post
    Good morning, scurry. Welcome to doom.
    Thanks Snowflower - I was rather hoping someone would make an acronym of my name.
    Oh well, scurry will also do nicely.
    Hector Hugh Munro

Feral She-Bunny of Doom™ DoomNymph's Avatar
    LOL! If you want to be an ARSE, that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    nano chicken... thats a first for me.
    I'll try and explain...

I work in a research lab involved with nanotechnology, energy research, photonics etc (mainly stopping post doc researchers melting themselves). Sometimes things go wrong with experiments for inexplicable reasons so I came up with the concept of the nanochcken to try and explain why things go wrong. We all know it's just Easter cake decorations, but somehow there's more to it than that....

Here's some pics of the birth of the nanochicken, and the subsequent interfering with said experiments. Since then they've been breeding (just like Dressler warned us about with the grey goo) and can be found all over the building I work in

I've been fascinated by all this EOTW stuff since I could read and know it's unlikely any technofixes will ultimately solve our problems, but I'm pretty good at this science stuff so might as well at least try before we run out of time/resources/will/sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by DoomNymph View Post
    LOL! If you want to be an ARSE, that's fine with me.
    LOL

So, anyone who says: "Who the hell is this ARSE?" will have me wondering whether they:

1. Don't like something I've posted?
    2. Are asking a genuine question about my identity?
    3. Are referring to someone else altogether?
    Hector Hugh Munro

welcome to the new members this morning.

We should be a 200 within a week.

Just a hunch :-)

Quote Originally Posted by spinski View Post
    I'll try and explain...

I work in a research lab involved with nanotechnology, energy research, photonics etc (mainly stopping post doc researchers melting themselves). Sometimes things go wrong with experiments for inexplicable reasons so I came up with the concept of the nanochcken to try and explain why things go wrong.
    nanochicken - Brilliant!

Spinski - think of me as a primate with a shovel.
    Hector Hugh Munro

Quote Originally Posted by A Rather Scurrilous End View Post
    think of me as a primate with a shovel.
    We're all primates, but when the grid goes down a primate with a shovel just might be crowned king

Terra Firma, Now in North Carolina, boondocks
    Quote Originally Posted by spinski View Post
    Thanks ExRanger. Thought the quote summed up quite nicely where we're headed. The avatar is the nanochicken (it's a long story).
    does the nanochicken play havoc with the buckey balls in the lab or do they just cause general mayhem with the carbon tubes assuming their worms?

just askin...

Man that's what I get for just lurking once in awhile. Didn't know where everyone went!!! Glad I found everyone.

Yowsers... well I was out for a week or two, came back, and bam..... somebody turned the lights out.

welcome both of you.

yeah LATOC evaporated. Most everyone made it and signed up on SustainableCountry.com but that's not really a doom site. So this one was made for that subject matter. Only been here 2 days though so its still a bit sparse.

We will be getting more content and users (think we are somewhere under 150 right now and 550 on the other site).

Anyway... glad you found us.

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone! I'll re-cloak here in a bit, but I just wanted to say thanks for those involved to make this happen. I'll be crossing that bridge between villages a lot, so hopefully I won't get kicked out of both places at once! :P

Thanks again and stay warm. The winds have finally died down here in NE Iowa, but we missed a half day of school because power poles were snapped off and we lost power. It was kind of sad to watch the adults running around not really knowing what do to! We just opened the shades and kept on reading!

AnIowan... if you look at the new posts link on the SustainableCountry.com I added a link that might help you. It on the nav bar above and takes you right to new posts here in another window.0

Hope that helps.
    :-)
    alex