Thread: A reminder

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

A reminder

A reminder as doom becomes more and more tangible so does the stress and the in-fighting. Nothing like previous forums and I have been very happy with how well we have maintained a level of respect on this forum.

That being said, i think a timely reminder is prudent. Here are the short and sweet rules we originally put in place. Please keep them in mind as the subjects get more and more heated.

Thanks.
    Alex

Simple Rules of Conduct
    We will be adding more clarification to the rules shortly but for now a few simple common sense rules apply.

1.) The forum is about the impending doom and the loss of society in many forms. That doesn't mean we will practice the wild west mentality here first :-) Personal attacks will not be allowed. There is no reason to attack each other. If you can't discuss like an adult, this forum is not for you.

2.) Most doom related subjects are fine. Subjects that are outwardly racist and hateful will not be allowed. If you think you belong to the master race, keep it to yourself. If you feel you have to project and promote that here, you wont last long.

3.) Once a mod has made a decision that's final. If you have a beef with the decision you can take it to PM. If you have a problem down deep with authority and think you're going to argue your way to every last point, you may just want to lurk. If the mods have no teeth there is no order. That cant happen.

4.) Copying and reposting complete works from other sites is strictly forbidden. Links are ok. Your comments on the links are ok. Taking work from others is theft and we will not condone theft.

5.) Respect each other like you would yourselves (perhaps better) and this place will be your doom sanctuary. Act like an asshat and your stay with us will be short. Common cents is the best currency here.

That's it for now. Enjoy getting your doom on.
    Alex & The Silent Country ModSquad.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Thanks! The encouraging structure is part of why I love it here!
    p.s. Was it something I said?

Queen of Chutney
    LOL! NYLB knows I am in a cranky mood. Good thing he posted this, as I was about to make some snarky comments on a thread or two.
    Enjoying the "gasoline crack of history".

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    No, zen. I think it was me on a thread about pipe smoking. I got hot over some people throwing their opinions of smokers in our faces all the time, and I blew up about it. Sorry, Alex, but even I can take just so much. I hear it on TV, on Radio, from people, and even on the internet. Smokers have rights too.

Update:

Well, I guess I was wrong. That was on another forum! ROFLOL! That's what happens when one tries to juggle too many of them at one time!
    Last edited by portals - RIP old Friend; 10-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

I'll just say: Thanks, Alex. Things were getting inflammatory again, and as much as I like my daily dose of doom, I don't need the side of insults, racism, or general uncouthness. I really like this forum because mods are willing to step in and ensure everyone plays nice on the playground

Thanks for the hard work, I may not make the most informed comments or posts but the community has never done anything other than provide constructive criticism when needed and the occasional snark fest when my foot gets lodged in my mouth too far.
    If it is to be, it is up to me.

Maryland, up the road from the nuclear power plant.
    Alex, thank you for running such a nice place. I like the fact that mods are gods here because the discussions don't degenerate into childish arguments.

One of the reasons I like this forum so much is the very high level of civility. Although there are rules, I think most of the forum members have internalized the rules. As such, people reasonably discuss topics rather than fling virtual poo at one another. For the life of me, I can't understand why people bother to write anything at forums where opinions just like their own are the only opinions tolerated by members. Perhaps they are actually seeking to have their biases reinforced? But what's the point of that? My quarum of cats will agree with my opinions all day long and I don't have to bother typing it on a keyboard.

One of the nicer aspects of this forum is we can express that we disagree and even nicer: we don't insult each other simply because there is disagreement. Added bonus: when we do admit that the a post has led us to consider a new perspective (isn't that why we're here?) or even change our mind on a topic, we aren't subjected to razzing about that too.
    Last edited by tofu2u2; 05-15-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    To oppose something is to maintain it. --Ursula K. Le Guin

The moral of this story, the moral of this song:
    Is that one should never be where one does not belong.
    So if you see your neighbor struggling, help him with his load.
    But don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road. [Dylan]