Thread: O.K. I'll admit I'm a dumb Ass

Arrow O.K. I'll admit I'm a dumb Ass

I have a basic computer question for you guys. I know I should know this but, I don't. How do you quote something then another then another and all still be on your same reply? Are you simply hitting the quote button and deleting/eliminating the useless part? Or is there another way to quote only a small passage of a person text and it show up in the gray box without having to go and delete all the unwanted parts out? How do you copy segments from a series of previous post into your reply? O.K. all go ahead and start laughing at my dumb ass, you can start now..........................Bruce
    Everyday is a blessing, except maybe tomorrow

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    {QUOTE=Bruce;13886}I have a basic computer question for you guys.{/QUOTE}
    {QUOTE=Bruce;13886} I know I should know this but, I don't. How do you quote something then another then another and all still be on your same reply?{/QUOTE}
    {QUOTE=Bruce;13886}Are you simply hitting the quote button and deleting/eliminating the useless part? Or is there another way to quote only a small passage of a person text and it show up in the gray box without having to go and delete all the unwanted parts out? How do you copy segments from a series of previous post into your reply? O.K. all go ahead and start laughing at my dumb ass, you can start now..........................Bruce{/QUOTE}
    Nope. You gotta take all of it, and subdivide it using either the original quote with the name of the poster, or use the quote button to start a new one, and paste what you cut out into it. Depending on how many you want, just keep doing that, over and over until there is nothing left in your paste buffer, or you are done quoting paragraphs. I am assuming the quotes above are an example of what you are talking about, right?

However, if you just want to take a single line, or paragraph, simply copy it BEFORE you hit reply. When you get to the edit window, press the QUOTE button, then put your mouse cursor between the start and ending QUOTE boxes, and paste. That's it! Doing it that way doesn't put the posters name in, but you can do that manually if you want to. You don't need the last number or the semi-colon, only the username, like this:

{QUOTE}I have a basic computer question for you guys. I know I should know this but, I don't. How do you quote something then another then another and all still be on your same reply? Are you simply hitting the quote button and deleting/eliminating the useless part?{/QUOTE}
    or this,

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    {QUOTE=Bruce}I have a basic computer question for you guys. I know I should know this but, I don't. How do you quote something then another then another and all still be on your same reply? Are you simply hitting the quote button and deleting/eliminating the useless part?{/QUOTE}
    As you will note, the little mouse box on the right of the name of the second quote is missing. That is because I only used your name, not the number of the post. Sorry about the brackets {} instead of braces, but I don't know how to make braces in this forum without them being recognized as a command.
    Last edited by portals - RIP old Friend; 12-21-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Yes, portal you have understood my question perfectly. In that I'm not sure how to do what you just did in your reply. If I understood you correctly your quoting my whole post (by using the reply with quote button) then deleting parts out to as to leave only what you want to show up in the gray box. Then repeating the same process all over again by the same method and bringing the entire original post back again into your reply and once again deleting all the unwanted parts. Is that right?.......................................Bruce

Yup! You can experiment with the process using the advanced editor. Click 'Reply With Quote' then go to the advanced editor, and make any changes you want. You can then do a preview of what you have done before it is displayed on the topic. You can do this as many times as you like. I do it all the time. (Makes me look perfect! hahaha )

make any changes you want.

Quote Originally Posted by portals View Post
    Yup! You can experiment with the process using the advanced editor. Click 'Reply With Quote' then go to the advanced editor, and make any changes you want.
    O.K. I think I got it.

Yup! You can experiment with the process using the advanced editor.
    Got another part in there didn't I

and make any changes you want.

I know I got it, thanks Portals

Anytime.

Maryland, up the road from the nuclear power plant.
    How do we access the "advanced editor"? Thank you, Anne
    To oppose something is to maintain it. --Ursula K. Le Guin

The moral of this story, the moral of this song:
    Is that one should never be where one does not belong.
    So if you see your neighbor struggling, help him with his load.
    But don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road. [Dylan]

Terra Firma, Now in North Carolina, boondocks
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu2u2 View Post
    How do we access the "advanced editor"? Thank you, Anne
    there is a button at the bottom of the screen that says go advanced.
    Travelling To The 18th Century
    So, ponder away, ask questions, fume, vent, cuss, kick dirt, ball your fists and cry out loud. Then get back to work, cause this is the road your on and it aint gonna walk itself. ~bgf

When you know that your time is close at hand,
    Maybe then you'll begin to understand
    Life down here is just a strange illusion.

spe relinquere, vos qui intrare hic

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    I didn't think that was a dumb question. I think that if you have a question just ask cause i have always found not only does someone know the answer.... but that other people wonder how to do it too and may be too shy to ask.

Like.... maybe we need to hassle Zen about her nonexistent avatar? he he *whistles nonchalantly*

I've seen people use the procedure like a gazillion times, yet I never knew how they did it. Of course I never played around with either. I knew how to quote the entire thing but not how they quoted multiples. Know now though..............................Bruce