Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News System

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

Breaking News System

I posted this in another thread but dont want it buried in a Matt thread.
    Wanted to wait till it was done but I guess the time is right now.

Started working on a database driven news page. All the entries will allow a link and a description... categories, dates and contributor.
    The idea I had was a person could come in.. see the latest news, search news by date, by contributor, by keyword or category.

That way it can grow over time and old information will be easily accessible.

Have the databases laid out but was just trying to find the time to finish the web front end. I have a system I already built for an Economic Development company (oh the irony) and just need to pair it down as it's an overkill.

If anyone is interested in being a contributor PLEASE let me know.

I can do all the code but my time to gather the news is limited these days.
    With any luck this will be a value to people from any forum.

(sorry for the double posts but didnt want this buried).
    Alex
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    What do you need this person to do? Just put links in to news stories everyday?
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Yep... essentially.
    I will build the categories and the whole interface. Its going to allow multiple users and will have the ability to sort by category, date, author, etc.
    Actually simple interface though.

Paste URL. Paste description (if there is one)... pick category... save
    Done.

It will be available OUTSIDE the forums so anyone and everyone can see it. Though it will promote the forums obviously.

Actually I have more done than needed. The work from my other system will be pairing it back some. Its running with 12,000 links in it now for ED stuff.

Was going to wait till I was done but the BN page imploding seems to have jumped me AGAIN in timing.. lMAO...
    fate is a real PITA sometimes :-P
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    cool! what a great idea of a searchable database. I am a fan of that form of organizing. It really does make a huge difference trying to find information. Thanks you Alex. I am laughing at the irony of the timing of it. Seems to be keeping up the momentum....

How many people do you need? I don't know if I could do it everyday like clockwork. If I'm not alone, it wouldn't be too bad, as the work in finding links could be a shared thing, ya know?

Just once I would like to be in front of the train... not under it :-P

I will probably have it finished before the 1st of the year. But with anything else, without contributors it may as well not exist.
    Another reason why i think it would be best served OUTSIDE the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by portals View Post
    How many people do you need? I don't know if I could do it everyday like clockwork. If I'm not alone, it wouldn't be too bad, as the work in finding links could be a shared thing, ya know?
    Thats EXACTLY the idea!
    And also I figure contributors will also bring their own styles of news gathering to it. That in itself could be interesting and useful.

The idea is to let everyone help each other. Not sell freeze dried food on the page. Just so everyone is clear... This will be available for free and I wont get a penny from it. Forum exposure will be the only tangible benefit. That and keeping with what I set out to do... keep the support system in place for everyone.

Will try and step up getting it done if I know I have contributors that will throw some effort into the hat.
    :-)

Well, I've never done anything like this, but I'm willing to give it a try. Just let me know by PM when, where, and how you want it done!

This is a great idea!
    I am willing to help if you aren't too strict about when and how often you expect contributions.
    Life here is never static so "deadline" is a naughty word.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy."
    William Blake
    “Always drink upstream from the herd.”
    Old Farmers Almanac

I wont be removing contributors for lack of input. I understand better than most about being under-resourced.
    That's why I want to build it so there are multiple authors.
    Many hands - light work kind of thing.

Sounds like a great idea. I'd be happy to add new articles when I come across them.

Excellent.
    Please post here if you're interested in contributing. I will be working on the code for the existing system this week and next and should make a nice new years addition.

Count me in. I don't mind helping out when I can.
    "I don't see how we could be stupider here in the west if we actually took courses in stupidity and tried as hard as we could"
    Jordan B. Peterson

"Understand What's Going On"
    Gonzalo Lira (RIP)

Count me in, too!
    I'm a news junkie, so I'm sure I can round up a few good nuggets to bring in.

I don't even want to try rigorous duties with my fallible iPad, hope I can just continue post links in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Huey View Post
    I don't even want to try rigorous duties with my fallible iPad, hope I can just continue post links in the forums.
    Just (moments ago) got a 300page training material on FMPRO application development for Ipads... lol

I'm melting... melting... what a world, what a world.......

I would be willing to help. Many of my FB friends are news junkies, and often post stuff that I'd like to share.

Touch screens have great potential, don't get me wrong,b ut they've got a ways to go before they're ready for prime time.

If you have an iPad and a you want to see how close we are to touchscreen nirvana, get SplashTopRemote, and control you desktop computer over wifi. It's fun!

Yep- have already used the remote desktop to control Winbox servers on IPAD :-)

But dont want to hijack my own thread :-P

I'd be up for it...here and there...I'm an obsessive news reader.