Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking News System

How tech savvy do you have to be to contribute? I can participate in forums, get Warcraft running, and download my camera, but don't ask me to do anything more technical than that :P

Having said that, if it is set up for dummies, I'd be happy to help, too.

I'm in, if I can be. I'd love to contribute some relevant news articles.

A question... how are articles being vetted for truthiness?

There's a lot of sites out there that have things that very much look like, but ought never be confused with actual news items.
    if we can make it though the landslide standing, we'll lift each other up to see the bliss on the horizon

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    I will build a thumbs up/down link into the system along with a report article link.

I don't want to sound like I am trivializing it but I will only go so far into researching/vetting.
    If I was starting a news company that would be different. But this is just a tool I have built for like-minded people to share important and relevant news.
    I am hoping self-policing and the quality of a few contributors will float to the top over time.
    :-)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Senior Member TheDignityofStruggle's Avatar
    A wooded hillside. Forgive my typos, Im on a mobile thingy.
    I can probably add a few links a day. I always scour the web at breakfast time, while the chickens are out scratching and I'm sipping coffee.

Code is coming along. Should at least have something I can start seeding with one or two contributors by the weekend.

Holiday madness has slowed me down a bit.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Testing an in-thread integration. Using old Economic Development data....

Want to make sure everyone can use this 'within' the forum as well as outside.

I figured out a way to allow people (contributors) to actually include links they provide into their own blogs if they want :-)
    So add links here and your blog can pull the links automatically just like this thread will be updated each time the links get updated... instantly.
    Some kinks to work and have to get the rest of the interface done first.

Should be pretty good when done.

Maryland, up the road from the nuclear power plant.
    Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    How tech savvy do you have to be to contribute? 1. I can participate in forums, 2. get Warcraft running, and 3. download my camera, but don't ask me to do anything more technical than that :P

Having said that, if it is set up for dummies, I'd be happy to help, too.
    1. yes
    2. I dunno
    3. nope, not that either

I wish I knew how to do more to contribute but Im not very good with computers.

That said, I want to thank Alex for setting this topic and forum up for us. Anne

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    OH WOW...... this is wonderful! I see how useful this could be!

Ok if i click a link heading it opens up a list of other links with a short description... then if i click those subheadings my page opens another tab and goes straight to the original information page.... i think that is terrific! You are JUST TOO GOOD! Love it!

in the finished version it will be sorted by date (today's news) but you will be able to filter on :
    Date (yesterday, etc)
    Contributor (you want to see just John's links)
    Category (just show financial stuff)
    Rank (based on number of thumbs up)
    Most Popular (each click will add to a tally for each link)
    Also, I 'think' I will be able to provide a way where contributors can 'import' only their content into their blog like i did above for all the links.
    That will have to come last though.

I really like the idea of multiple contributors working on this though. It should open it up to some useful stuff.
    ;-)

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Have worked out a way where individual categories could be embedded in an outside blog or forum :-)
    The selection below grabs just federal Gov. links from the test database.
    This could be categories or contributor.
    Looks like it will work.

Hey Alex, that looks great! wow!
    what a cool idea.
    It's like an encyclopedia!
    is there going to be a link to it on the front page or something like that?
    http://endofempirenews.blogspot.com/

new Breaking News!
    and
    my outsider artwork blog
    http://paturner.blogspot.com/

Well the idea is that there will be a separate landing page for the entire collection. Something like News.SilentCountry.com or something. That way you can see the news without being in the forum.

But for each contributor that wants to, I can provide a quick code snippet that they can include on their own blog that automatically calls their submissions. Enter it once and see it in multiple places kind of thing.

But you're doing a hell of a job! Really feeling bad we crossed timing on this.

I *would* like there to be a link at the top of the SilCo page, though. Handy.

There will be an easy link :-)
    Dont worry about that.

:-) :-)