Thread: Just a Reminder about the Closed Forums Here

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

Just a Reminder about the Closed Forums Here

For new members and older ones just coming back, I wanted to point out that the forums here are "closed" to non-members (which includes search engines).
    Basically what that means is that if you are not logged in, or not a member, you can see the forums, and the thread titles but you cannot see ANY of the text posted on each thread.

I made that change 6 months or so ago because it started becoming obvious to me that having conversations in a public forum wasnt in our best interests. I know some other sites have most of their content in the public side and a few subforums behind closed doors. I never liked that because that means you have to go in an unrelated section to have candid conversations about any particular subject.

This has all but destroyed any chance of new members finding their way here via search engines, but I'm ok with that. The benefit of having a safe place to type far outweighs that in my mind.

In any case... figured a reminder was in order. :-)
    Good to see some old, familiar faces.

Alex
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Jungle Gym for Toddlers
    Thank you Alex. That was a great idea!

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    sometimes the most precious gift of all is freedom to communicate...and i for one TRULY appreciate that we have space to do just that. The reality is we DO need to be somewhat circumspect and i would like at this point to say i DO appreciate this place you have created for us Alex. I also trust your judgement with these things.

I agree with RED, but also, it seems to me that being a closed forum probably reduces trolling to an extent, so I am grateful for that.
    It is quality not quantity, and Alex made a good call I think.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. --R.W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I agree with RED, but also, it seems to me that being a closed forum probably reduces trolling to an extent, so I am grateful for that.
    It is quality not quantity, and Alex made a good call I think.
    Plus it balances out the complete outing that is Facebook.

I probably wasn't watching but I want to thank you for that. I feel much better about posting some things about myself. << LIKE >> to Alex!

Draftlady

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by graveday View Post
    Plus it balances out the complete outing that is Facebook.
    whatdayamean?

Excellent idea, Alex. I rate this as doubleplus good.

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    You know Alex, it just dawned on me that Jock over at HA removed his link back to here just about the same time that we went private. He could have gotten complaints from those trying to get in without registering, and decided that maybe we were no longer soliciting new members and removed the link for that reason. If you want, I can check this out for you!
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by ♥RÉĎRËÅMÊR♥ View Post
    whatdayamean?
    They have every word in a little black book of infinite proportions. They have pics, birthdays, friends. All that and more. That's what I mean. They're mean that way.