Thread: DDOS Attack

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

DDOS Attack

On Network Solutions as well (it seems) on our registrar (NameSecure).

That means that while some people can get to the forums, many others cannot (including me when it gets crushed).

Know that there is little we can do when the registrars get taken down.

Internet weakness at the core.

Just FYI
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    Yeah! Happened to me. I tried about a dozen times but it came up "Server not found" on Firefox. Was wondering what was wrong. I hoped the heat did hurt the servers. Thanks for the update.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Sustainable Country was also down.

no doubt... I had just a dozen or so down out of 12 million roughly :P
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Jungle Gym for Toddlers
    (waves hi) I couldn't get on earlier, but these things happen to forums I frequent. With increasing frequency. (mental checkmark in the internet down = more doom column)

One good-sized activist organization reported they were hit by their biggest DDOS attack ever today (yesterday?), just as they were preparing to launch a massive anti-fracking campaign. That one was probably not a coincidence, eh? (Alex, do you think this one was?)

Probably best not to say. On the other hand, checking in less frequently may get you on more frequently. Now off to see if Hubbert's had a similar experience. Shitty shit even if they did not.

What is a 'good-sized activist organization'?

ahhh, I thought the NSA had nabbed you
    "I don't see how we could be stupider here in the west if we actually took courses in stupidity and tried as hard as we could"
    Jordan B. Peterson

"Understand What's Going On"
    Gonzalo Lira (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by graveday View Post
    Probably best not to say. On the other hand, checking in less frequently may get you on more frequently. Now off to see if Hubbert's had a similar experience. Shitty shit even if they did not.

What is a 'good-sized activist organization'?
    MoooooooveOnnnn.rg
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. --R.W. Emerson

Is it any wonder these sites and the net is so easily compromised.
    Wonder if anyone can spot the obvious screw up here:
    Domain Name:MOVEON.ORG
    Name Server:GREG.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
    Name Server:EMMA.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

CLOUDFLARE.COM
    DNS2.CLOUDFLARE.COM 173.245.58.99
    DNS3.CLOUDFLARE.COM 173.245.59.99

You will also notice that other than a few small stories the massive outage got very little MSM attention yesterday.

Personally I believe that there is an attempt to keep from highlighting the obvious vulnerability that the net current has in the DNS/registrar based system. When you have millions upon millions of sites that do everything from commerce to coordinating JIT deliveries dependent on a ridiculously few entities, you have the makings of a disaster. Couple that with the incredibly ease and effectiveness of coordinated DDOS attacks and you have a real National Security issue.

Remember, the internet didnt start out that way. It' infinitely more difficult to coordinate global DDOS attacks on an nearly infinite number of IP addresses... yet marketing and consumerism demanded the move to a Naming mechanism that was easy to remember and brand-able...
    DNS...

So how do you make that matter worse? Through privatization and basic laws of capitalism, you allow that requirement to be laser focused in the in the computer systems of a ridiculously small number of entities (registrars).

Stupidity

jack o' fall trades BigGreenFrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
    ahhh, I thought the NSA had nabbed you
    That shit ain't even funny......
    The school of hard knocks does not offer a tuition assistance program.

The time to build an Ark is when the sun is still shining.

The problem is...we are all part of the problem.

The Post Apocalyptic Starvation Diet will succeed where all other diets have failed.

The lack of the ability to adjust to new and different circumstances is by very definition the inability to evolve and as with all things that fail to evolve, they are doomed to extinction.