Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Test

Here's my experiment in hosting an audio file. Experiment or not, it's well worth a listen.

Direct link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15758729/20...armageddon.mp3

Now let's see what this wrapper code does:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15758729/20...armageddon.mp3

No difference for me. Does the wrapper code make a difference for anybody else?

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    nope... raw mp3 wont show up as a video.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    Direct link to audio file worked fine, UH, but wrapped link did not work at all.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Let's try an actual video, then.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15758729/Porky.flv

[mp3]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15758729/2010.05.26%20Carmageddon.mp3[/mp3]
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

I just wrote a custom MP3 tag for everyone.

use the bbcode (mp3)https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15758729/2010.05.26%20Carmageddon.mp3(/mp3)

replace the () with [] pf course.

try it :-)

and before you ask.. this is a flash player and as such will NOT work with an IPAD.
    But will work for everyone else.

I assume you made a proper wrapper for it? Again, I see nothing. The iPad handles flash files VERY strangely, when it handles them at all.

Oh, I thought you were messing with the video, not the mp3.

My system will recognize it and will download it, but I can't play a direct .flv flash file. Don't know why yet. I use Linux, not Windows, so I'll have to look into it.

yes its working for all non ipad (iphones too).

wrap the address of that mp3 the way I showed you above and a flash player shows up and works for everyone.

nope mp3... videos are a different beast

[mp3]http://208.125.219.124/ajm/haggis/15%20Broken%20Line.mp3[/mp3]

works like a charm. I made a post about if for everyone to know its there :-)

Yup, sure does.

Yesterday, when I was messing with my experiments, you were online doing your own wrapper code stuff, so I decided to make myself scarce until the dust settled. So now i'm not clear about things and i've got questions.

Did my video wrapper work with my porky pig flv?

Did yours?

I see nothing but blank messages in either case.

Regarding the mp3's, if do see my direct link and it works fine for both downloading and listening in the browser. A simple click opens a new browser tab with a player bar in it. A click-and-hold gives a popup menu with option to download.

I do NOT see anything in the messages where you put the mp3 in a wrapper. So my question on that is:

What's the advantage of linking mp3's in wrapper code? Does anyone need it? Can't windows & linux users right-click to see all the options?

Seems to me it does more harm than good, excluding use by mobil tablets. we already surrender the right to view most videos, so why add mp3's?

Did my video wrapper work with my porky pig flv?
    Did yours?
    -- No the video wrapper will not work with the flv ext. Typically that requires a wrapper as well. It works with items like google video and youtube though.

Regarding the mp3's, if do see my direct link and it works fine for both downloading and listening in the browser. A simple click opens a new browser tab with a player bar in it. A click-and-hold gives a popup menu with option to download.

I do NOT see anything in the messages where you put the mp3 in a wrapper. So my question on that is:
    What's the advantage of linking mp3's in wrapper code? Does anyone need it? Can't windows & linux users right-click to see all the options?
    -- clicking it does not play for all users in a new window. Some have to download it and play it in an app (right clicking). The wrapper lets anyone that has flash (ipad/iphone don't work) hear the audio right there on the thread without saving it to their hard drive first. Not saying there isnt an advantage to downloading it too though.

Seems to me it does more harm than good, excluding use by mobil tablets. we already surrender the right to view most videos, so why add mp3's?
    -- You only surrender that to Steve Jobs because flash insnt currently supported on his mobiles. Trust me I know... Use the ipad quite often myself.

Other mobile like android support flash just fine.

If you want to make it easier for someone to click play and pause right in the thread then you can wrap it. If not, then just paste the address in. If you want to do both wrap one and paste another.

Options are good :-)

It's been a long time since I wrote in c/c++, and on the web I never did anything fancier than basic stone-age HTML, but isn't there a way to write the wrappers so they insert direct links in ADDITION to embedded media?

Just wondering.

yes. I had the link show at first but was asked to remove it as some would rather not outwardly expose the url. One of the advantages of a wrapper. And since the paste can simply be made twice for those that want to show it, it seemed like a small compromise.

Could you add a "Conceal Link" button as an option in the embedding window?