Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some changes to the forum structure

Hybrid View

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

Some changes to the forum structure

I have put an announcement up that explains this.
    http://forums.silentcountry.com/foru...ement.php?f=24

Please note, if you want only a SUSCO forum, you can do that. If you want only Tin you can do that too. Everyone was automatically subscribed to Silco when i set it up, but you can turn that off if you want :-)

Basically 1 login to remember and up to 3 forums in the same place... It's totally up to you though :-)

hey...
    Just wanted to let everyone now that I will be reorganizing the forums a bit over the next week or so.

Basically what I have done is set up 3 groups that everyone can 'subscribe to".
    They are
    Silent Country Doomers
    Tin Ceiling Foilers
    Sustainable Country Doers

You will be able to opt in and out of these any time you want.

I will be reorganizing the forums into 4 major areas.

The first will be a general Site News and Info section. Everyone that registers will be able to see that.

And then 3 major areas for the groups I just mentioned.

Under each of those areas will be sub forums (like we see now) but the good news is that Tin and Susco will also get their own subforums.

Every member will be able to go in an browse any of the forums, but only subscribers will see the posts show up in the Autorefresh & Activity streams. So basically the susco people could, if they wanted, see only the Sustainable stuff. Same with tin if that's what people want. You can pick and choose from any of the 3.

If this works well, and I am hoping it will, I may even (down the road) expand the concept so that you can pick & choose what subforums you see under each major section. But I want to keep it simple for now and just stick to the 3 choices.

I have bulk added EVERYONE currently to the silco group. That only makes sense because that's why everyone was here. But like any of the groups you will be able to opt out at any time.
    Hell, if you really wanted you could turn them on and off any time just to filter your feed. It wont matter how often you do or dont change it.

Anyway... expect to see the forum structure changing and growing soon.

Oh and before anyone asks, I am looking into the possibility of moving threads from susco to here... it's not looking good. It may just have to start from scratch. We will see. Will do what I can but it is what it is.

Thanks
    NYLB
    Last edited by NYLongbow; 08-06-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Maryland, up the road from the nuclear power plant.
    I'd like to sign up for all 3. My understanding is that I don't do anything to stay in Silent Country but how do I sign up for the other 2 forums? (stupid question, I know. Maybe I should change my online name to "anchorman", a reference to the one with the lowest test scores in the naval academy).
    To oppose something is to maintain it. --Ursula K. Le Guin

The moral of this story, the moral of this song:
    Is that one should never be where one does not belong.
    So if you see your neighbor struggling, help him with his load.
    But don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road. [Dylan]

LOL... Right now, its do nothing and you're in silco. If fact we all are.
    Use the settings to sign up for the Tin subscription for now if you want:
    http://forums.silentcountry.com/foru...editusergroups

And eventually (soon) I will have a similar setup for Susco threads.

Going to keep this simple while making it versatile for everyone :-)
    That's the plan anyway.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Sounds good. I'll be able to check susco without having to "enter a new forum".

Sounds great Alex, thank you. I'll be participating on all three I hope.

Alex, thanks for taking such good care of our hardy little band!

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    thank you Alex!

Thanks - I forgot my password for Susco, so I stopped going there - does this mean I can now get to newSusco?
    The “simple life” takes a lifetime to learn....Peter Goodchild
    Live as if you would die tomorrow
    Learn as if you would live forever

Maryland, up the road from the nuclear power plant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Changer View Post
    Thanks - I forgot my password for Susco, so I stopped going there - does this mean I can now get to newSusco?
    Ditto. (And I thought I was the only one who forgets things like that!)
    To oppose something is to maintain it. --Ursula K. Le Guin

The moral of this story, the moral of this song:
    Is that one should never be where one does not belong.
    So if you see your neighbor struggling, help him with his load.
    But don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road. [Dylan]

The "new Susco" will actually be just subforums here.

I just need to finish up some paying work so I have some time to build them all.

Sadly it looks like we will be starting from scratch with threads though.

NOOOOOO!!! You mean we loose all that information? Please archive it for a bit until we can get it downloaded or something like that - PLEASE?
    Draftlady

Sounds good, but please ditch the adverbs. Doomers, Tin Ceiling, and Sustaniable Country is plenty fine enough without the tag alongs. Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by Draftlady View Post
    NOOOOOO!!! You mean we loose all that information? Please archive it for a bit until we can get it downloaded or something like that - PLEASE?
    Draftlady
    Of course I will leave it open in read only for some time. Still trying to figure out if I can move them somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by graveday View Post
    Sounds good, but please ditch the adverbs. Doomers, Tin Ceiling, and Sustaniable Country is plenty fine enough without the tag alongs. Dang.
    LOL - Oh I dont know. May just have to make a judgement call on that :P

Brilliant. Love that SusCo will be here too.
    Just say "maybe".

Wow I only found this out today! You really put a lot of work in that forum. Thanks!

It's open to everyone for a day or so. i will be segregating the 3 sections into subscribers only tonight or tomorrow.
    Subscribing will be easy. Same procedure as subscribing to the Tin Section. :-)

Basically it will be 3 different forums that anyone can combine into one if they choose :-)

Thanks for all your effforts in updating the forums and bringing in tinfoil and susco. I used the link and subscribed to both, looking forward to more topics. I also kinda forgot my password to susco, lol!

I have put an announcement up that explains this.
    http://forums.silentcountry.com/foru...ement.php?f=24

Please note, if you want only a SUSCO forum, you can do that. If you want only Tin you can do that too. Everyone was automatically subscribed to Silco when i set it up, but you can turn that off if you want :-)

Basically 1 login to remember and up to 3 forums in the same place... It's totally up to you though :-)

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    Oh now this is clever!

I REALLY hope you find a way to bring some of the wonderful material at SusCo over here too, thank you Alex! We VERY much appreciate your efforts!

Anyone that saw a moderation message... don t panic.. it was just one of the gajillion settings I have to adjust to make this work right.