Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News About The Turkish Hack

Thank you for all your time and effort, Alex. Odds are it was either a random attack or the work of a mole. Does anyone know if it has been happening to other forums that see through the BS?

OR someone who visits here 'helped' it happen?

Thanks Alex.... as I noted in the original thread... three hours without access and I needed two coffees!

Nice reminder how dependent we are on online information - and how much of the stuff I want access to at a later date is still only bookmarks, not downloaded. I think my Christmas holidays ( I get around 6 weeks) will be spent with a 1Tb hard drive and some downloading will go on...yes, the DoomerDrive will happen!
    The “simple life” takes a lifetime to learn....Peter Goodchild
    Live as if you would die tomorrow
    Learn as if you would live forever

Well, my BIL is a Turk, but I'm pretty sure he didn't do it. They are flying out tomorrow back to turkey for a month.
    I'll have him put the evil eye out...
    Nice to have this back up, thanks!!!
    A BTU saved is > a BTU earned. Get offgrid or die.

Back to normal. That was probably the most unexpected thing that could have happened this morning when I started my computer. Thanks for getting things back. I suspect it was random since the page was just defaced and nothing terribly malicious done. The pic and music seemed more playful and lulz oriented than anything with an agenda.
    Last edited by Nordom; 09-14-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks Alex, the hacking thing is "Greek" to me.

Thanx Alex for all your work! The life of a SysAdmin is one that never rests!

I missed my visits but I did get a lot done. Maybe it's a sign. Thanks for the hard work.

Thanks Alex. We are so lucky to have you.
    "You either get busy livin' or you get busy dying". - The Shawshank Redemption.
    "You get old and you realize there are no answers, only stories". — Garrison Keillor.

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    Thanks but it's just my role in our little tribe of doomers.

It appears as if the safeguards I put in place above the data have held. I see numerous attempts in the logs last night to get by them and nothing got through.
    I feel sorry for the poor bastards that got hit harder. Many of them had to basically throw it all out and start again.
    Cant imagine.

Anyway... not willing to call mission accomplished yet but first 24 hours was successful.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Thanks for a timely up and re-running of SilCo Alex. And thankful the damage was minimal.
    Forests precede us, deserts dog our heels. ~ Derrick Jensen
    What we want is to be self-reliant enough to hold up our end of honorable interdependence. ~ Carol Deppe

Thanks for your hard and skilled work, Alex. It means a lot to have a place like this to discuss what we do.

As for the word cloud--isn't the Susco section visible without a login? Therefore there'd be a word cloud there, right?

I'm wondering if somehow "Syria" or "Turkey" came up in a discussion on the Susco section, and they found this site when they used one of those search terms? "Let's see who is talking about stuff we care about and then screw with one of them!"

Nope.. the ONLY section open to the public is Site News.. and even then, only the thread listing page. You cant see into any of the threads at all without loggin in.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Then when we see "guests" online they're looking at the thread listing page? 'cause there's 8 guests online now, and I hope they're not up to no good!

Thanks for all your efforts Alex. Much appreciated.

@Changer. Only 2 coffees? I'm way ahead of you LOL.

I didn't get any music when I saw the hack. Where was my music?

Quote Originally Posted by houseoftang View Post
    Then when we see "guests" online they're looking at the thread listing page? 'cause there's 8 guests online now, and I hope they're not up to no good!
    A lot of times they are spiders trying to get to subpages but they just get the login screen. Technically it will show them online if they are looking at the "you must login to see this page" message.

Speechless in Seattle Annihilatrix's Avatar
    Aussie-- I didn't get any music either (viewed w/Firefox). I looked at the source code and the image was supposed to shake on mouseover (didn't for me).

Seems like it would be easy enough for hackers to find forums employing VBulletin just using Google a la https://www.google.com/search?q=vbul...-US%3Aofficial --as most sites will place a link to whatever software they use in the page footer.
    Assume crash position.

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilatrix View Post
    Aussie-- I didn't get any music either (viewed w/Firefox). I looked at the source code and the image was supposed to shake on mouseover (didn't for me).

Seems like it would be easy enough for hackers to find forums employing VBulletin just using Google a la https://www.google.com/search?q=vbul...-US%3Aofficial --as most sites will place a link to whatever software they use in the page footer.
    It's a license requirement to have the footer VB tag.
    I know I know... but most forum apps require it.

just my role in our little tribe of doomers
    You fulfill your role very well, and without you, none of the rest of us could be a part of this tribe. Thank you.

One thing that does seem to be new is that I make a reply and lose it when getting the message that I must log in. But I have logged in. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by graveday View Post
    One thing that does seem to be new is that I make a reply and lose it when getting the message that I must log in. But I have logged in. Frustrating.
    The next time you login, make sure the "remember me" box right below the password is checked. This will stop it from timing out every so often and always remember you.