Thread: We're Movin On Up.... Maintenance Outage

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

We're Movin On Up.... Maintenance Outage

Just a heads up. For the past few days I have been involved in a complete migration of all my sites and all my servers into a high scale - high speed hosting provider.
    While some of my sites are going to take weeks as they will be converted (code) from microsoft to MYSQL, the forums can move without issue.

Susco is already running from there and is blazingly fast.

I believe I will be moving Silco there this evening as well as the rest of my forums.

When it comes time to do so, I will close the forums with a maintenance message and we will sync up the changed data from server to server.
    No posts will be lost.

Here's the rub.

The DNS needs to switch after that point. And sometimes, your machine or your ISP is stubborn about picking up those DNS changes.

What I will do is this.

This forum with close with a maintenance message as I said, along with a bit of text that says "if you are seeing this you havent picked up the new address yet".

The new forum will be opened immediately after the transfer so if you're still seeing the old message after an hour or so, then you may want to look into clearing your DNS cache on your machine.
    It's different for all machines/OS's so i wont try to describe them all to you.

Hopefully, 99% of you will migrate super quickly and you wont notice much at all except a big speed increase.

:-)

Anyway... just a heads up.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Thanks, I could use a few extra nanoseconds.

Tentatively this is looking like a 6pm EST migration.

just fyi
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Thanks for the heads!
    Just say "maybe".

The servers are all moved. i am posting this on the new server. If you are seeing this then your DNS has updated and all is well… and fast :-)

Ran ccleaner to clear dns cashe - didn't work. Removed silco as my home page and used a different one, ran ccleaner again and that did the trick. Must be a persistent address thing in the home page setting.

I'll say one thing… its definitely faster … damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nylongbow View Post
    i'll say one thing… its definitely faster … damn.
    wow!

yep... speed tests on all server functions ranged from 600% to 1100% faster than my old setup.

And the speed right now is even during huge migrations of gigs of data to the server...

I have tons of sites to migrate unfortunately.

Definitely more expensive than most but worth every penny so far.

#fuckwashington oh, and #fuckalbany, too

At this point all the forums are moved to the new facility / setup along with a dozen or so websites.
    The speed tests done prior to moving everything are showing almost exactly the same speeds after the move :-)
    Now that's a pleasant surprise.

I have some really big and heavier use sites to migrate in the next week and one that will take weeks...
    but it appears that forums arent causing the system to even blink above their baseline.

Finally ... ;-)