Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic and Urgency Meters Moved

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    Lol - I dont like them anymore... I keep waiting for them to move.
    LMAO... move damn you... move
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Senior Member TheDignityofStruggle's Avatar
    A wooded hillside. Forgive my typos, Im on a mobile thingy.
    Tug, here is your million dollar idea, you can thank me later:

iPhone App. Complete app that is updating panic and urgency meters in real time. Allows users to set their own "alarms" so their phone will receive a text when meters hit a certain level. Phones will also automatically receive a text if the meters spike a certain amount (i.e. WW3 breaks out) and the text explains the reasoning behind the alarm.

If you want to develop it, I want in for 20%.

I am totally in favor of that except that I'd have to get an iPhone and at my place, all it would be is a fairly expensive paperweight. This is Vermont, we don't believe in fancy stuff like cell phones, lol!

Senior Member TheDignityofStruggle's Avatar
    A wooded hillside. Forgive my typos, Im on a mobile thingy.
    I have other ideas for it, might actually be a cool thing. I don't have a phone myself...

The APP could include an alert and a daily news update...who's our guy who is writing his own operating system?...where'd he go?...

Tug, your meters on the front page of this forum are going to play merry hell with the Prozac and Xanax prescriptions!
    Life is like Sanskrit read to a pony.

(Hat tip to Lou Reed.)

You would think that an urgency meter set at "8" on a scale of ten would be high enough to get people moving. An "8" means something like a hurricane has been spotted, and landfall is predicted, and you are probably in its path. I see no reason to move the scale higher at this point because, if an "8" won't move you, neither will a "10"...except, a "10" might cause panic, and panic causes stupidity. For those of us who were around, we actually had people "bug out" in the summer of 2008. I can't remember who they were, but I don't remember them coming back, either. So the meter remains at "8". Get moving,. people. Steady preppers win the race.

Tug
    Last edited by Tug ( G U E S T ); 02-13-2011 at 02:02 PM.

I think the 2 meters might be messing with people. I know I know.
    Have had many circle the wagon conversations here at home the past few weeks.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Quote Originally Posted by Tug View Post
    You would think that an urgency meter set at "8" on a scale of ten would be high enough to get people moving. An "8" means something like a hurricane has been spotted, and landfall is predicted, and you are probably in its path. I see no reason to move the scale higher at this point because, if an "8" won't move you, neither will a "10"...except, a "10" might cause panic, and panic causes stupidity. For those of us who were around, we actually had people "bug out" in the summer of 2008. I can't remember who they were, but I don't remember them coming back, either. So the meter remains at "8". Get moving,. people. Steady preppers win the race.

Tug
    Tug, you know that Denial is one of the strongest ego defenses. Hell, the band played on after the Titanic struck the iceberg!

The problem is that for most of the US, the collapse is happening very slowly, propped up by the massive money printing of the Fed, which will just make the problem worse. Global civilization has a certain momentum, there is still gobs of stuff lying around, the planes are still flying overhead and there is still gas at the gas station.

It takes serious effort to get below the surface and to try to figure out what is going on. Sometimes its just easier to go with the "summer of recovery" flow, lol.
    Life is like Sanskrit read to a pony.

(Hat tip to Lou Reed.)

One more thought Tug is that maintaining the meters unmoving and at a constant high level is that it can create a level of wear and tear, which eventually leads many to pay less attention. Take for example Homeland Security's threat index, which quietly retired away not too long ago since people no longer paid attention.

This is not to say though, that we haven't paid attention, as we have been socking aside more preps and have a small bit of money coming in shortly, most of which has been allocated into preps.

As long as you guys are DOING SOMETHING every day, whether that's put the change in your pockets into a milk jug (and then buying a silver coin or a couple of hundred rounds of .22 ammo when you get enough change saved), reading "how to" books, ordering some seed (THIS is the year to buy five years worth, yes it doesn't germinate as well, but it WILL germinate some, that's why you buy 5 year's worth), riding a bike, or walking (I am struggling to lose weight) doing some situps or push ups during commercials, taking a class at the community college or tech center, cutting some wood, baking some bread....DOING SOMETHING...then I'm as content as I can be...the meters are there to keep you moving...

As for people who can't get the difference between urgency and panic, well, are those people HERE?...LURKERS!!! Register and PM me and I'll explain why we have two meters.

Tug

Queen of Chutney
    I like the two meters. I don't get complacent. I just watch for changes.

Thanks, Tug!

I have no idea what to do for the impending solar flares...not knowing makes me feel...I don't know...p...NO!!! I won't do it!!! Somebody post a "prepping for the coming solar storm" thread...Urgency on this item should be considered a ten...as should buying 200 pounds of flour....and ordering seeds...and finding a garden plot, if you don't have one...and learning to can...

Tug

Tug, if you want a thread specific to prepping for solar flares, thats a fine idea. But no panic is needed for the incoming flare. Its NOT of the magnitude to cause any real doom. I would be surprised to see if it even effects the grid, though I suppose localized effects could be had.

That's the one good thing about CME's now. There are so many eyes on the prize that its a lot easier to have some indication about what to expect.

In this case...
    Northern Lights.
    Some communications issues... likely radio interference. i would bet it doesnt have any real satellite effect.
    and very very localized electrical effects.

It could be a catalyst for quake activity of course and increased weather anomalies but this is NOT a grid failure event!

Feel a bit better?

Feral She-Bunny of Doom™ DoomNymph's Avatar
    He's all stressed from his exams. Breathe, Tug... breathe!!
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

DN, do you agree with my assessment? Granted I have been out of it for 2 days and am not above being mistaken.

Yes. If anything, there *may* be a regional power outage similar to Quebec in 1989.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

March 13, 1989 - The Quebec Blackout Storm - Astronomers were busily tracking "Active Region 5395" on the Sun when suddenly it disgorged a massive cloud of superheated gas on March 10, 1989. Three days later, and seemingly unrelated to the solar paroxicism, people around the world saw a spectacular Northern Lights display. Most newspapers that reported this event considered the spectacular aurora to be the most newsworthy aspect of the storm. Seen as far south as Florida and Cuba, the vast majority of people in the Northern Hemisphere had never seen such a spectacle in recent memory. At 2:45 AM on March 13, electrical ground currents created by the magnetic storm found their way into the power grid of the Hydro-Quebec Power Authority. Giant capacitors tried to regulate these currents but failed within a few seconds as automatic protective systems took them off-line one by one. Suddenly, the entire 9,500 megawatt output from Hydro-Quebec's La Grande Hydroelectric Complex found itself without proper regulation. Power swings tripped the supply lines from the 2000 megawatt Churchill Falls generation complex, and 18 seconds later, the entire Quebec power grid collapsed. Six million people were affected as they woke to find no electricity to see them through a cold Quebec wintry night. People were trapped in darkened office buildings and elevators, stumbling around to find their way out. Traffic lights stopped working, Engineers from the major North American power companies were worried too. Some would later conclude that this could easily have been a $6 billion catastrophe affecting most US East Coast cities. All that prevented the cascade from affecting the United States were a few dozen capacitors on the Allegheny Network.
    Something like this would happen at higher latitudes, though.

Jungle Gym for Toddlers
    Well, there's always this: http://cryptogon.com/?p=20589

which if you were Alex and had dreams about it . . . oh . . . I dunno.

But I'm just not feeling it. Time to slow down, not speed up.
    Last edited by ashmeadskernel; 02-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    you know....... i am not sure it is going to be such a non event. I hope it is.

But a couple of things about this event concern me one of which is the sustained battering on the magnetosphere from 3 sizeable hits and the fact the magnetosphere is weakened..... I will be much happier when it passes.