Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chat feature

Chat feature

Has it gone? I don't see it anymore. And was/is it used at all?

It is gone for now, might come back.

The people who used it seemed to really like it, but not many used it. I guess it depends on when Alex can get around it reanimating it.
    My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved, it's good for drifting, drifting away...

Thanks, nothingman.

Sorry to seem retarded, but how does it work? Is it a group thing or just one to one?

You could choose to invite as many individuals as you wanted for a private chat or there was the free-for-all doomroom chatroom. Sometimes there were 6-7 people in there, other times none, it seemed a bit hit and miss but when the conversation did get flowing it was pretty nice.

Be warned though, once you entered it gets tough to say 'got to go now' because people just keep talking at you
    My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved, it's good for drifting, drifting away...

It sounds nice. I was always too shy to go and look!

Feral She-Bunny of Doom™ DoomNymph's Avatar
    I love the chat feature. It's fun to be able to talk to people and get to know them a little better. Hopefully it comes back.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

You could always see how many people were in the 'doomroom' before entering, though you couldn't see who they were.

I always liked going in when it was empty and inanely chatting to myself. I feel like I really learned a lot during those philosophical debates.

If it comes back, I'll steel myself and open the door Oh the joys of being shy - LOL.

Oh please do RH!

It's actually still there!! http://forums.silentcountry.com/foru...ooms/index.php
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Scrap that... it's not working. Bummer.

If it does come back, then for defs I will

Why don't people just CALL each other anymore?

There's nothing wrong with calling and it's great for one-on-one communications, it's just that the chat room was a like a virtual meet-up that would normally be impossible otherwise. RH is in England, Nothingman in Canada... you're in Chicago and I'm in Jersey. The chatroom allows everyone to talk to each other at the same time.

Hmmmm...what about an audio chat? That would be fabulous (and I never use that word). Chat is tough for me as I am anal about choosing words carefully and half of what I say is in jest and the other half isn't and even I can't tell the difference most of the time. "we're you joking, John?" "I dunno, lemme look...oh, yeah, I guess I was."

Audio chat would be fun, too. I'll have to admit that I like being able to multitask while I'm chatting. The conversation flows pretty easily. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's just chit-chat. Just think of it as what we're doing now on the boards only live.

Audio chat would be interesting, it'd be nice to hear people's voices and accents. My voice makes me cringe when I hear it as it sounds nothing like it does from inside my head. It sounds nasal and posh and silly.

John, your description of your thinking makes you come across rather like an English person. 'half of what I say is in jest and the other half isn't and even I can't tell the difference most of the time' is very familiar

Makes sense: I've always thought I was an Englishman stuck in an American's body to a degree. I've always been kind of an Anglophile: the humor, the history, the music, I'm more at home with it than our culture here...except for the warm beer and the bland food.

I think a very impacting previous life was spent there and I'd love to visit before the world goes completely to hell, except that I hate flying and I have my doubts as to whether they'd even let me on a plane.

But, but, but warm beer is good! A warming pint of proper ale is a lovely thing on a winter's night. Chilled beer is meh. The food isn't that bland, the English have a taste for spicy stuff and an Italian woman once grumbled to me that 'the English over-herb their cooking'. I'm not entirely sure what 'English' food is, though, to be honest. There seems to be a bit of everything mixed in. If you're thinking of 'meat and two veg' then, yes, I agree that it is fairly bland but that can be a comfort at times.

Maybe you could travel here by ship instead? I hate flying too - saw a Larson cartoon once that showed a man on a plane and the buttons on the arm rest were labelled 'Wings stay on' and 'Wings fall off'. That about sums it up for me.

What sort of Englishman do you feel you were?

Landed Gentry and an insufferable elitist snob. I have the distinct impression that I may have abused my position and that I have been making up for it in this life.

My earliest memory is being an infant in a hand-carrier. I was at my grandparent's house in rural Michigan and I was listening to my Father complain about his job at Chrysler. I must have made some sort of gurgling baby sound, as my Grandfather came over and started making baby-talk at me. It made me furious and indignant. I distinctly remember thinking "how dare you be condescending to me, you damned peasant?"

I was sort of like (if you get the show over there) baby Stewie on Family Guy.

I still find myself oscillating wildly between Elitism and Populism. It gets really annoying at times...I wish I could just choose one and be done with it.

I was sort of like (if you get the show over there) baby Stewie on Family Guy.
    LOL! I can actually see that!