Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old LATOC members?

good to see so many of us are still around (I started reading Matt's news headlines back in 04)

I didn't even know what a forum was back then or realize one existed - sorry I missed all the fun of the early years

it was a steep learning curve for me too - still learning

I started blogging much later - the H1N1 flu pandemic - it took awhile for me to find my voice

its been an interesting journey - watching doom and the evolution of doomers

and it feels a little odd being one of the youngsters in this crowd

unfortunately, I never had the close personal connections and emotional investment that some here have

but I still consider most of you friends, however real or virtual you may be

doomers tend to be a lonely bunch - doom watch a lonely business - its nice to have some sense of community/see familiar "faces" (even if its only an avatar)

for good or ill, LATOC changed my life ...as I suspect it did most of us

Senior Member BenjaminTheDonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsteader View Post
    Where ya been, Ben??
    Doomsteader, thanks for asking. I still lurk here, but mostly focus on near term extinction sites.
    Last edited by BenjaminTheDonkey; 02-14-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Dang Emeline, it was bad enough to hear NZ is in drought too, but for it to also not have bees as usual is really disturbing. It's probably from reading 'On the Beach', but I always think of NZ as the last holdout for normal. Not no mo', shit.

Agree with above comments about shitting ones pants when first reading latoc. I had heard Heinberg give a talk about the same time. He's still talking. Matt not so much, heh.

I don't shit my pants anymore. The shit is happening right outside. Mid Feb. here in upstate California and it is 78 degrees, the fruit trees are blooming, at least four weeks early, and fourth year of low water in the reservoirs. The east drowns in snow and we dry up in the west. Almost no snow in the mountains. There is enough water in the reservoirs to maybe muddle through another summer and pray for rain next winter. The Pacific is like a hot tub right now.

Someone (can't remember who) told me about Silent Country right when LATOC imploded. I think I was there for a couple of years or so.
    Some folks would be happy
    just to have one dream come true
    but everything you gather
    is just more that you can lose

Here.., present and accounted for(raises hand). I am glad to see so many senior members here. I feel down right young at age 52, soon to be 53 this March 8th, thank-you very much. I loved the old forum. It was a good way for me to my feet wet with what was wrong with this country and what was going on inside of me at the time. I still visit and lurk here. Especially when I need to get away from the Walmart society for a bit.
    Economic causality. Sifting through the ashes of the American Dream.

Posted at latoc, but lurk (much) here. I read “The Fourth Turning” in ’97 and started planning then. I attended the first US Transition Movement seminar in Boulder, CO in 2008 (but failed at getting local interest or involvement). I currently am urban homesteading (in part) in a small town in SE MN. To the extent possible, all of my food products are sourced from local farms and gardens. I process it myself, and store it for year-round consumption. Passive solar cuts heating/cooling expense. I am working on harvesting rain water. Latoc was a breath of fresh air (and a sanity-saver) at a time when you couldn’t talk doom to family, friends, co-workers or neighbors. Actually, still can’t. I too am a “boomer” doomer.

I sure miss my friend Jeromie... After L.O.T.O.C., Jeromie, JB and I (then the Black Knight), went over to Dr. Doom's site, were we accumulated almost 300 pages on the same thread which had over 60,000 views. Jeromie was one of the best informed articulate writers, I've ever encountered. Shortly after 2013, we finally gave it up. I suppose, since it was basically just the three of us posting, we pretty much said all that we wanted, conveying information, thoughts and theories. This much is certain, no one has ever influenced my view as much as this great man.
    Last edited by Yooper; 02-14-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Yeah, I remember that whole phase with Jeromie. I thought Jeromie was terribly bright and was disappointed at the disappearance of such a lucid poster from LATOC. Sometimes, though, people just disappear from our circles, both virtually and otherwise....for a whole slew of reasons. It is cool to look back and realize I've been fraternizing with some of youse since 2003 when I joined LATOC....That was one of the very first forums I ever joined and I lurked for almost two years before saying a peep! So much to wrap my poor head around, and I was kinda intimidated by them doomers
    I thought LATOC started in 2005, a few months before I joined? It went back to 2003? Just as a news site and then 2005 as a forum?

What's a year or so at this point? I think I was reading it in late 2004. Now we are down to months.

I still remember the photo in Santa Rosa where you were wearing a t-shirt and a forearm.

Joined latoc to read news and lurk after reading the essay after finding it because I searched for this silly phrase "peak oil" and just a month or three before the implosion. Was invited here by BSC I think who has long since disappeared

I am at the "whatever" stage. Living life and enjoying it and trying to not be a dick about it... ie not contributing more to the issues than I must to survive. Still progressing towards a goal of carbon neutral or even negative. Have 30 acres locked up that I intend to manage and protect.

If there must be dark days, let them be in my time... or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by graveday View Post
    Dang Emeline, it was bad enough to hear NZ is in drought too, but for it to also not have bees as usual is really disturbing. It's probably from reading 'On the Beach', but I always think of NZ as the last holdout for normal. Not no mo', shit.

Agree with above comments about shitting ones pants when first reading latoc. I had heard Heinberg give a talk about the same time. He's still talking. Matt not so much, heh.

I don't shit my pants anymore. The shit is happening right outside. Mid Feb. here in upstate California and it is 78 degrees, the fruit trees are blooming, at least four weeks early, and fourth year of low water in the reservoirs. The east drowns in snow and we dry up in the west. Almost no snow in the mountains. There is enough water in the reservoirs to maybe muddle through another summer and pray for rain next winter. The Pacific is like a hot tub right now.
    Heh grave, that book (On The Beach) scared the heck out of me when I was a kid.

In a way the drought here isn't so bad for some because there's a lot of irrigation. We still have free and unrestricted water. About a third of it comes from aquifers though. I was wondering how long NZ could keep pumping out of those aquifers. It seems we have around 612 billion cubic metres of water in underground aquifers. I'm finding it hard to get my head around that. With a population of 4 million how much water is that per person? Funnily enough I just read China has invested $612 billion in water conservation projects.

When did you last have a decent rain there grave?
    "You either get busy livin' or you get busy dying". - The Shawshank Redemption.
    "You get old and you realize there are no answers, only stories". — Garrison Keillor.

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    I'm here
    i'll be the last to leave
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Quote Originally Posted by houseoftang View Post
    I thought LATOC started in 2005, a few months before I joined? It went back to 2003? Just as a news site and then 2005 as a forum?
    Yeah, I may have my years wrong, as it has become a blur...2004-2005 is probably more accurate. I just remember the implosion of 2008 a few years into my peak oil awareness, then LATOC goes boom, then SilCo. Thanks for that, Alex.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. --R.W. Emerson

Geez, have we been at SILCO/SUSCO longer than LATOC was around? Alex, you're doing something right for sure!

Jeromie....the guy who knew the state of the NY Fed balance sheet and who knew so much! He was one of my favorite posters. I wish I could read current postings from him today with respect to current events! :-(

Was Mr Bill on LATOC or one of the other Peak Oil sites. Really miss his posts on monetary affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeline View Post
    Where are all the bees?
    Ask Monsanto
    "I don't see how we could be stupider here in the west if we actually took courses in stupidity and tried as hard as we could"
    Jordan B. Peterson

"Understand What's Going On"
    Gonzalo Lira (RIP)

jack o' fall trades BigGreenFrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
    Ask Monsanto
    Yes, ask them...if you want to hear a bunch of lies. I'm sure that they would find someone to blame. Probably Greenpeace.
    The school of hard knocks does not offer a tuition assistance program.

The time to build an Ark is when the sun is still shining.

The problem is...we are all part of the problem.

The Post Apocalyptic Starvation Diet will succeed where all other diets have failed.

The lack of the ability to adjust to new and different circumstances is by very definition the inability to evolve and as with all things that fail to evolve, they are doomed to extinction.

Quote Originally Posted by goodraven View Post

and it feels a little odd being one of the youngsters in this crowd
    I came across LATOC when I was 18, like, a month into my freshman year. "Future so bright, future so bright... ...No future???" ::sigh::

My wife and I are turning 25 in March and I think our little family is more or less ready for whatever may come. Except nuclear holocaust, eff that! Eat my canned bacon and Exeunt.

Doom on.
    Callum

here is the web link to the old forum in case none of you have it bookmarked anymore
    http://www.doomers.biz/forum2/
    not that I expect to time travel with my computer,
    I just don't delete bookmarks.