Thread: Old LATOC members?

Hybrid View

Dang Emeline, it was bad enough to hear NZ is in drought too, but for it to also not have bees as usual is really disturbing. It's probably from reading 'On the Beach', but I always think of NZ as the last holdout for normal. Not no mo', shit.

Agree with above comments about shitting ones pants when first reading latoc. I had heard Heinberg give a talk about the same time. He's still talking. Matt not so much, heh.

I don't shit my pants anymore. The shit is happening right outside. Mid Feb. here in upstate California and it is 78 degrees, the fruit trees are blooming, at least four weeks early, and fourth year of low water in the reservoirs. The east drowns in snow and we dry up in the west. Almost no snow in the mountains. There is enough water in the reservoirs to maybe muddle through another summer and pray for rain next winter. The Pacific is like a hot tub right now.

Someone (can't remember who) told me about Silent Country right when LATOC imploded. I think I was there for a couple of years or so.
    Some folks would be happy
    just to have one dream come true
    but everything you gather
    is just more that you can lose

Quote Originally Posted by graveday View Post
    Dang Emeline, it was bad enough to hear NZ is in drought too, but for it to also not have bees as usual is really disturbing. It's probably from reading 'On the Beach', but I always think of NZ as the last holdout for normal. Not no mo', shit.

Agree with above comments about shitting ones pants when first reading latoc. I had heard Heinberg give a talk about the same time. He's still talking. Matt not so much, heh.

I don't shit my pants anymore. The shit is happening right outside. Mid Feb. here in upstate California and it is 78 degrees, the fruit trees are blooming, at least four weeks early, and fourth year of low water in the reservoirs. The east drowns in snow and we dry up in the west. Almost no snow in the mountains. There is enough water in the reservoirs to maybe muddle through another summer and pray for rain next winter. The Pacific is like a hot tub right now.
    Heh grave, that book (On The Beach) scared the heck out of me when I was a kid.

In a way the drought here isn't so bad for some because there's a lot of irrigation. We still have free and unrestricted water. About a third of it comes from aquifers though. I was wondering how long NZ could keep pumping out of those aquifers. It seems we have around 612 billion cubic metres of water in underground aquifers. I'm finding it hard to get my head around that. With a population of 4 million how much water is that per person? Funnily enough I just read China has invested $612 billion in water conservation projects.

When did you last have a decent rain there grave?
    "You either get busy livin' or you get busy dying". - The Shawshank Redemption.
    "You get old and you realize there are no answers, only stories". — Garrison Keillor.