Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gone

The worst part is that LATOC drew in a HUGE number of lurkers, many of whom were probably wrestling with trying to accept the whole concept. It was THE site for doomers and Peak Oilers to share information and was linked on more "respectable" sites like Mish's Global Econ Trend Analysis (which is how I found it) and Of Two Minds. If you started a good thread over there you could count on 1000 page views. Most topics on the spin off sites do well to get a tenth of that number.

In essence, Matt nuked a whole community and made it much more difficult for us to get the word out just as things on the Peak Oil front are really starting to heat up. That was his right as it was his site, but it is also now his legacy.
    Since you have nothing to do with your hands
    You might as well pray
    I ain't no God fearing man
    But I am afraid
    Of something that I cannot quite explain

- Typhoon

Bummer anyway. Kinda like TOD giving up the Campfire series.
    A BTU saved is > a BTU earned. Get offgrid or die.

Singularitarian Bill from Pennsylvania's Avatar
    Oil crash survival strategy to avoid:

1) Gather together 20,000 to 50,000 people, and convince a large portion of them to be regular viewers of your website.

2) Make sure they know who you are, what you look like, where you live, etc.

3) Make sure they they get really invested in your pov and spend hundreds of hours per person on your site.

4) Tell them all to go #%^* themselves.

lmao what the hell

Well said, Bill.

Singularitarian Bill from Pennsylvania's Avatar
    thanks Grower; I'm really glad that you post on this site!

Eta: I just realized that you may have been reading bill hicks (excellent) post while I was writing... either way, thanks Alex once again for setting up this great site!
    Last edited by Bill from Pennsylvania; 03-23-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Well.... at least, maybe..... TPTB won't be looking there FIRST for all the people who might be "non-mainstreamers" or "rebels" or "terrorists" or whatever label they might be wanting to subscribe to non-traditional [aka party-line] thinkers. Don't get me wrong - I'm not on anyone's "side" - but perhaps, just perhaps, having that forum wiped could be a reprieve no one is thinking about. It might just grant a few extra days of "investigation" time for those needing it.

==I know - perhaps, just perhaps - I'll be regretting this post or will get a ration of S**T for it, but, there it is== (mods - delete if controversial)

I enjoyed La**c while it existed and now I find my connections hither-wise. I'm sure many/most of you have done the same. Why not let what has passed, be past?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill from Pennsylvania View Post
    Oil crash survival strategy to avoid:

1) Gather together 20,000 to 50,000 people, and convince a large portion of them to be regular viewers of your website.

2) Make sure they know who you are, what you look like, where you live, etc.

3) Make sure they they get really invested in your pov and spend hundreds of hours per person on your site.

4) Tell them all to go #%^* themselves.

lmao what the hell
    LOL!!! That was stupendous, sir!

Jock over at Hubbert's Arms has the whole LATOC forum archived as far as I know. He kindly offer to look something up for me a while back.
    Next time, NO PLANET EARTH, no matter what the brochures say!

Senior Member TheDignityofStruggle's Avatar
    A wooded hillside. Forgive my typos, Im on a mobile thingy.
    It makes me wonder what became of a lot of people...

Here is an archived version at the Internet Archive.

Nothing ever goes away, Diogenes searches under every stone for an honest man and the truth ;~)
    http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...c,18743.0.html

Senior Member BiologicalSpeciesCoxswain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m68k View Post
    Here is an archived version at the Internet Archive.
    Thanks m68k, and welcome! I haven't ventured back there at all, but just took a peek, and got a lump in my throat. Finding Matt's site in 2004 was a life changer for me and I hope that those 1000s of lurkers used the information to make better life choices, too.

I know Jock backed it all up, because when the site started having big problems after the GOM disaster, he backed it up each morning. We discussed that the work done in the Live Feed thread should be archived for posterity, just in case BP managed to shut down every other source. I still think they got to Matt somehow. Anyway, it's good to know Jock has it.

I'm sure the government has it backed up along with all our personal contact info! So, it can't be shared. Matt always said he claimed to copright to anything written there and in fact the posts we all made are ours anyway.

I think that most of us (speaking for the lurkers) are still around even though we are a bit more diffuse than we were. I, myself don't spend but a fraction of the time I spent there on any of the other places that came after. We move on. Besides, we now seem to be living the stuff that we talked about over there. Always know that I and many others will always remain in contact with all you guys one way or another. You are all family fer cryin' out loud.
    I've got nothing to say, but it's OK. Good Morning... Good Morning... Good Morning

I write often, it seems while my muse is in the john taking a crap - buz painter

Quote Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
    Jock over at Hubbert's Arms has the whole LATOC forum archived as far as I know. He kindly offer to look something up for me a while back.
    It's available as a Torrent at the moment. A Bunch of us on HA are downloading and then seeding.

Jerry

Unhappy

All I know is that, for me, the two most recent, and profound, losses in my life were Matt Simmons' murder and the hideous closure of LATOC. Since then, I've had a difficult time rebounding.

And even though I've prepped as much as I possibly can, given where I live, my life circumstance and my age, I feel disconnected from those posters on LATOC who have helped me so much, particularly with the challenges I faced with my unresponsive and asleep children. And, too, even though I know that those people who so generously gave of themselves on LATOC are now gathered on various forums, it's particularly difficult for me to follow any of them, given the disparate meeting places where they congregate. But I keep trying.

What a loss.
    The Uncertainty Principle • "It proves we can't ever really know what's going on" .......... A Serious Man

I moved to this place and Ruppert's CollapseNet.

I have Matt's introduction as a pdf on my site: http://www.peakoil.dk/introduction.pdf (have made a few copy/paste errors though).

Just the mention of his name "Matt" and the cold and callous way he treated his long time board members makes me sick. Screw him and his pompous attitude. After seeing what he really thought of his members that showed me he was not part of the solution or the enlightenment of others but he was part of the problem itself............................................ Bruce
    Everyday is a blessing, except maybe tomorrow