• What the hell is Autorefresh?

10 29.41%
  • No - never use it.

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is using the Autorefresh

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

Who is using the Autorefresh

Going to create a quick poll as I am interested in who is using the autorefresh which updates the whats new every X number of seconds.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Got it set to 300 seconds. I used to use whatever the option was before 'autorefresh', was it last 24hrs(?) but autorefresh works just fine.
    My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved, it's good for drifting, drifting away...

I keep it at the longest setting and just click on the auto refresh hyperlink when I want instant gratification.

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    I use it all the time... set for 60 secs.... I pretty much always have a SilCo or SusCo tab open when i am online. I like the autorefresh.

If you are in the process of formulating a post and your auto-refresh is set at 30/60 seconds, when the page refreshes, you loose all the info you were trying to post in the reply box. This has happened to me numerous times, it's frustrating when you've copied and pasted numerous links and info... only to be wiped out by the auto-refresh. If you can't formulate a post within your refresh time, you will loose the info. Setting the refresh to either a 2 or 5 minute rate can ensure your data won't be lost.

And I like the 30/60 second refresh... when you work with numerous windows in Safari, and click the S.C. window, you automatically know when new info is posted, no waiting or hitting auto-refresh. This is very convenient when you are working on other projects (esp so when there's a hot thread such as the Japan nuclear update thread).
    Last edited by SEAWITCHLLC; 03-28-2011 at 08:38 AM.

I am trying to decide whether to take it over to Susco as well but since I programmed it outside of the forums I cant readily tell how its being used :-)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWITCHLLC View Post
    If you are in the process of formulating a post and your auto-refresh is set at 30/60 seconds, when the page refreshes, you loose all the info you were trying to post in the reply box. This has happened to me numerous times, it's frustrating when you've copied and pasted numerous links and info... only to be wiped out by the auto-refresh. If you can't formulate a post within your re-fresh time, you will loose the info. Setting the refresh to either a 2 or 5 minute rate can ensure your data won't be lost.

And I like the 30/60 second refresh... when you work with numerous windows in Safari, and click the S.C. window, you automatically know when new info is posted, no waiting or hitting auto-refresh. This is very convenient when you are working on other projects (esp so when there's a hot thread such as the Japan nuclear update thread).
    Um, that should never happen. Here is why.
    The refresh page ONLY works on the search results page (past 24 hrs).
    if you are in a thread or on a post new thread, the autorefresh header is gone. There is nothing there to cause a refresh.
    Does this make sense? I dont see any way possible for it to lose anything because the code is only on the search results page.

If however you are typing something in the quick search box it might jump on you. Have had that happen a few times but thats usually just a word or two.

Can you show me a thread this happens to you Seawitch? because I cant see how it could happen technically.

Passed Onto The Next Adventure ellen54's Avatar
    I very often have Silco open in a tab when I'm working on other stuff and love using the autorefresh so I can get a quick peek in between tasks of what is currently fresh on the site.
    The Zen of Gradualness - my blog on death and dying.

To ask the question another way... can anyone find a thread with the refresh header is at the top on an actual thread? Or the on the create new thread page?
    IF you dont see the choices at the top of that page, the refresh code is not present.

But since SW says it has happened a few times, I am inclined to wonder what is really happening.
    Anyone show me a thread where the refresh code is at the top?

hmm strange that has notever happened to me... cause once i select a thread from the autorefresh results page to post i am no longer *in* auto refresh... least that is how i understand it... I have to go BACK to autorefresh for it to update at the time i have set or it just sits there (the first week we had the option took me a couple of day's to actually register that).

I think it would be GREAT at SusCo! hint hint....

This isn't Susco?
    My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved, it's good for drifting, drifting away...

Quote Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
    this isn't susco?
    lolol!

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    Never seen the refresh inside of a topic before, but I'm running Ubuntu w/Firefox for Linux, so it may be different for Window users.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by portals View Post
    Never seen the refresh inside of a topic before, but I'm running Ubuntu w/Firefox for Linux, so it may be different for Window users.
    I really dont see how since I only put the code on the search page :-)
    But never want to simply say it cant happen.
    So if anyone see a refresh happen on a thread I want to know please :-)

If the refresh bar isn't being accessed by any other page, then I really don't see how it could possibly show up in an isolated topic unless something is screwed up in the code that is causing a global external reference that shouldn't be there. It's all yours, Alex. I gave up tracing that shit out when I retired!

Alex, this happened probably three times, once when I tried to start a new thread, and twice on the Japan nuclear update thread when I used the 'post quick reply' box at the bottom of the thread page. I have no clue as to what specific page. After my info was wiped out, I automatically thought the entire site refreshes in accordance with the selected rate. I will usually start a reply in the 'quick box' and hit 'go advanced' before I'm ready to submit to preview my work. I don't recall ever loosing info when posting in the 'advanced' box. Not sure if this is relevant, but I'm using a Mac Book Pro and Safari.
    Last edited by SEAWITCHLLC; 03-28-2011 at 09:06 AM.

It really cant. What I think happened to SW is something that happens to me on occasion. Especially when I am copy and pasting links and writing BBCODE tags for images I have a tendency to fat finger a key combination.

For me its the Command & [ symbol.Moving too fast usually.
    When that happens my browser thinks I want to go 'back'. When I do that I lose everything in my text box.
    Very annoying but not something that is caused by autorefreshing or the forums. It would work that way on any form on the net because that's the shortcut for my browser.
    Happens to me more than I would like to admit to.

but you're right portals. If you dont see the refresh links at the top (which is in a frame), then the code is not on the page and you could sit there until you fall asleep and it wont have the code to cause a refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWITCHLLC View Post
    Alex, this happened probably three times, once when I tried to start a new thread, and twice on the Japan nuclear update thread when I used the 'post quick reply' box at the bottom of the thread page. I have no clue as to what specific page. After my info was wiped out, I automatically thought the entire site refreshes in accordance with the selected rate. I will usually start a reply in the 'quick box' and hit 'go advanced' before I'm ready to submit to preview my work. I don't recall ever loosing info when posting in the 'advanced' box. Not sure if this is relevant, but I'm using a Mac Book Pro and Safari.
    Well just me know when it happens again SW. If it was truly a refresh then the page would reload and that would include the links on the top of the page.
    If it happens and those links arent up there, then its something else.
    I know a post can be annoying. Happens to me on the Ipad all the time. Not because of the refresh but rather because the Ipad seems bipolar as to when it will suddenly take my keyboard away, leaving me in mid typing to accidentally click a link... poof... post text gone.

Alex, is the refresh time controlled by javascript on the client machine, or is it controlled by your server? If it is on the client side, it could be that when Sea hit the "Reply" button, her system may have tried to do a refresh at the exact same time that her 'reply' was being forwarded. Consequently, the refresh loaded the new page, and when doing so, would have destroyed all text in the 'Quick Edit' box before it was recognized by your server. That would make sense, as she said it only happened a couple of times, not every time.

Quote Originally Posted by portals View Post
    Alex, is the refresh time controlled by javascript on the client machine, or is it controlled by your server? If it is on the client side, it could be that when Sea hit the "Reply" button, her system may have tried to do a refresh at the exact same time that her 'reply' was being forwarded. Consequently, the refresh loaded the new page, and when doing so, would have destroyed all text in the 'Quick Edit' box before it was recognized by your server. That would make sense, as she said it only happened a couple of times, not every time.
    Its client side and not jscript. The refresh is using one of the oldest HTML tags around. It's just a meta-refresh tag in the page header. The only thing I do is store a cookie as to what number you want put in there.
    But without that meta tag up there a refresh is not possible all on its own. And its not there on any page but search (unless someone can show me otherwise).

Without using jscript and by sticking to such an old tag, I ensure it works the same for damn near every browser out there. the only thing that can technically go wrong is not being able to store the time in a cookie so the search result page will default to 60 seconds each time.

Still, the single line of code only exists on the search page.
    :-)
    Will just wait & see what SW finds next time.

in the meantime, i wanted to find out how much this is being used :-)