Quote Originally Posted by Commoner80 View Post
One of Commoner's lasting legacies is his four laws of ecology, as written in The Closing Circle in 1971.[14] The four laws are:[15]

Everything is connected to everything else. There is one ecosphere for all living organisms and what affects one, affects all.
Everything must go somewhere. There is no "waste" in nature and there is no "away" to which things can be thrown.
Nature knows best. Humankind has fashioned technology to improve upon nature, but such change in a natural system is, says Commoner, "likely to be detrimental to that system"
There is no such thing as a free lunch. Exploitation of nature will inevitably involve the conversion of resources from useful to useless forms.[/I]
Thank you Commoner80.

Barry Commoner had, unfortunately, faded back into the archives of my memory. His 4 laws of ecology are vital to understanding the mess we are in now. There is no greater wake up call than the recently discovered poisoning of the oceans with plastics. In my little woodland garden last year I noticed a drop in springtime butterfly numbers and other insects, particularly summer fireflies. This year so far I've seen just 3 butterflies. I hope there's a civilization destroying economic collapse soon.

Thank you again for your thoughtful post and I hope to see more, perhaps a link to your favorite Barry Commoner article.