Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need a membership drive, Alex

Go C80! I argue all day. Much easier to just read about it here at night. We ARE here.

C80, that was a great post!
    Thank you sir! (if you are in fact a sir)
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.
    - Mark Twain

"Do your own research, make up your own mind, think for yourself."
    - Sharyl Attkisson

If the Russian oligarchs are bad, what makes the US oligarchs good?

Yeah hell for someone who feels like they've got nothing to contribute that was a great first post C80. I learned something - I'd never heard of Barry Commoner. Thanks for that. And I get what you mean about not feeling the need to participate... I'm like that too, now. This is the only cyberspace community that I interact with anymore.

Thank you, Commoner. I had not heard of Barry Commoner, either, and yet I have heard most of those laws, so he has left a legacy. I will read more about him - he sounds like my kind of guy!
    The “simple life” takes a lifetime to learn....Peter Goodchild
    Live as if you would die tomorrow
    Learn as if you would live forever

A hillside in the Boston Mountains in NW Arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Commoner80 View Post
    One of Commoner's lasting legacies is his four laws of ecology, as written in The Closing Circle in 1971.[14] The four laws are:[15]

Everything is connected to everything else. There is one ecosphere for all living organisms and what affects one, affects all.
    Everything must go somewhere. There is no "waste" in nature and there is no "away" to which things can be thrown.
    Nature knows best. Humankind has fashioned technology to improve upon nature, but such change in a natural system is, says Commoner, "likely to be detrimental to that system"
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Exploitation of nature will inevitably involve the conversion of resources from useful to useless forms.[/I]
    Thank you Commoner80.

Barry Commoner had, unfortunately, faded back into the archives of my memory. His 4 laws of ecology are vital to understanding the mess we are in now. There is no greater wake up call than the recently discovered poisoning of the oceans with plastics. In my little woodland garden last year I noticed a drop in springtime butterfly numbers and other insects, particularly summer fireflies. This year so far I've seen just 3 butterflies. I hope there's a civilization destroying economic collapse soon.

Thank you again for your thoughtful post and I hope to see more, perhaps a link to your favorite Barry Commoner article.
    Post collapse nocturnal mammals will do ok against human predation. Coyotes will be the largest mammal available by 2100. Cannibalism is easier than trapping coyotes.

Senior Member TheDignityofStruggle's Avatar
    A wooded hillside. Forgive my typos, Im on a mobile thingy.
    I stumbled onto a book by Barry Commoner at a Goodwill in Arizona some ten years ago and bought it for like, a dollar. His concept of the how our economy is run bakwards, essentially allowing the finacial system to place demands on the industrial system, which places demands on the ecological system really stuck with me. Of course the Earth can only give so much willingly, and everything else should be based on that.

Thanks for finally piping up!

Another lurker here. I have always been more of a listener and thinker than a talker. My friends would would call me a wall flower. Could hardly tell I was there when in groups.
    I would hate for this site to die, I really enjoy your posts and opinions and wit. I tend to have a moderate conservative view on most issues, but enjoy reading and trying to understand all perspectives. I just don't usually have much to add to the conversation.
    Keep up the good work, I would miss you all if you give up.

We dont need new members, just more confident lurkers.

Speechless in Seattle Annihilatrix's Avatar
    I haven't been around much these days... the few remaining voices here have become the typical echo chamber-- the one winged birds ( R/L) are such a bore. Learning to play jazz piano and signing off online haunts.
    Assume crash position.

Speechless in Seattle Annihilatrix's Avatar
    Well, where have you been all my doomer life.

Quote Originally Posted by Commoner80 View Post
    Been lurking here and on LATOC and Oil Drum for a good decade and have never posted a god damn thing. But since y'all are talking about ME I might as well pipe up. My justification to myself for not posting is that I felt and still feel I have almost nothing to contribute. And since I personally don't require the illusion of personal connection that most of the net is based on, why bother? I'm just another clueless fucking moron city dweller with more time on my hands than most.
    Assume crash position.

Ut oh. Romance is in the air. Doomers do Dallas.

A hillside in the Boston Mountains in NW Arkansas
    Just a thought Alex. How about opening just SusCo on a read only basis and opening it to the search engines. Put a note at the top of SusCo that only members of SusCo are allowed to post, saying nothing about SilCo or The Tin Ceiling. People who ask good questions or make good posts could be invited to join Silco and The Tin Ceiling.

I think this would be a way to find new members without exposing the more sensitive areas. It would also be a way of offering the great storehouse of information in Susco to those who could use it.
    Post collapse nocturnal mammals will do ok against human predation. Coyotes will be the largest mammal available by 2100. Cannibalism is easier than trapping coyotes.

jack o' fall trades BigGreenFrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsy_gardener View Post
    Just a thought Alex. How about opening just SusCo on a read only basis and opening it to the search engines. Put a note at the top of SusCo that only members of SusCo are allowed to post, saying nothing about SilCo or The Tin Ceiling. People who ask good questions or make good posts could be invited to join Silco and The Tin Ceiling.

I think this would be a way to find new members without exposing the more sensitive areas. It would also be a way of offering the great storehouse of information in Susco to those who could use it.
    Seems sound to me.
    The school of hard knocks does not offer a tuition assistance program.

The time to build an Ark is when the sun is still shining.

The problem is...we are all part of the problem.

The Post Apocalyptic Starvation Diet will succeed where all other diets have failed.

The lack of the ability to adjust to new and different circumstances is by very definition the inability to evolve and as with all things that fail to evolve, they are doomed to extinction.

Another lurked checking in!! Hardly ever post because I know I could never match the wisdom I find here. I have learned so much here and grateful to all who keep posting. Also don't know where I'd be without all of you!

Just toss in a sarcastic comment every now and then Jerry.

Most of us who post regularly would never consider ourselves oracles of any sort, or full of wisdom or knowledge .... hearing different perspectives and even the odd sarcastic comment is good for us all!
    The “simple life” takes a lifetime to learn....Peter Goodchild
    Live as if you would die tomorrow
    Learn as if you would live forever

In my view, LATOC is like a successfully completed research project, and this forum is a steward of that which resulted. The points have been made, the conclusions have been drawn, and very important contributions were made towards forming the transition-minded networks of which this forum is a part.

Silco isn't much of a community, of course. Facebook has killed almost every other local internet community everywhere. You have small holdouts scattered about, but nothing real substantial, and a webforum of this type simply cannot compete. I think it does its job as a steward of information remarkably well though, and the remnant community is admirable in avoiding the black and white partisan politics currently infecting the entirety of the West.

More new members would inevitably bring these issues with them.

It's really hard to interact with "normal" people. I mention peak oil and I get peak what? Resource depletion? Russian Threat? I feel like I have two heads when I'm with "normal" people. I'm not a kindergarden teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by DweebieDoom View Post
    It's really hard to interact with "normal" people. I mention peak oil and I get peak what? Resource depletion? Russian Threat? I feel like I have two heads when I'm with "normal" people. I'm not a kindergarden teacher.
    Nowadays, what is "normal?"
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.
    - Mark Twain

"Do your own research, make up your own mind, think for yourself."
    - Sharyl Attkisson

If the Russian oligarchs are bad, what makes the US oligarchs good?

Normal = clueless drone