Thread: Question

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

Question

trying to determine who is using what the most.

So this is a thread with a poll about the Search links.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    wow, have to say I am surprised that so few are using the full text link. Since it was a popular SMF feature .
    Never would have guessed.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Queen of Chutney
    No, I like being able to see the thread and THEN click on it. Don't like the full text.

Prefer the past 24 hours link myself.
    "I don't see how we could be stupider here in the west if we actually took courses in stupidity and tried as hard as we could"
    Jordan B. Peterson

"Understand What's Going On"
    Gonzalo Lira (RIP)

Master of Doom portals - RIP old Friend's Avatar
    The "past 24 hrs" link saves time. All you need is the topic header to see if it is in bold and has been recently accessed or is a new topic.
    Last edited by portals - RIP old Friend; 11-21-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" Milton; Paradise Lost

Ummm...I never actually clicked on it. So that's what it does...the full text thingy.

Oh yeah, ok. I've never clicked on it either.
    "I don't see how we could be stupider here in the west if we actually took courses in stupidity and tried as hard as we could"
    Jordan B. Peterson

"Understand What's Going On"
    Gonzalo Lira (RIP)

When I check the site, first I look at my subscribed threads to see new posts where I'm active. Then I go to 24 hours to see the new stuff.

I still have to get in the swing of subscribing to threads...and hopefully people don't think I'm a rude little jackass if they say something to me in a thread and I don't respond, as I'd much prefer that they think of me as being a rude little jackass for entirely other reasons.

I think the only thing I like better with the old latoc forum is the "read unread posts" thing that lays out all the threads you posted on...that was a cool feature...most of the rest of it kind of sucked, format-wise...and the black lettering on a grey background...yuck.

None of the choices reflects how I use the forum. I can scan and read text REALLY fast. I mean, like, snapshot-in-Broca's-Brain fast. (It's my personal claim to freakishness.) Plus I don't have much time at the keyboard. So I can never hope to read as some do--continually, all the latest stuff. My strategy is to hit a first tier of interest subtopics, and the others get checked if and only if I have time, the electricity is working, etc. LATOC was nice because everything was in one place. I'm far less involved now that I have THREE forums to check.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLudi View Post
    I think the only thing I like better with the old latoc forum is the "read unread posts" thing that lays out all the threads you posted on...that was a cool feature.
    Yup, I liked the "View new replies to your posts" option a lot, too. Even if I only had a few minutes, I could at least see what's happening on a thread I posted in.

This site's icon that indicates what posts you've posted on is pretty cool, but still somewhat behind that feature that just laid it out there w/o anything else.

I pretty much just select "View unread posts", middle-click (new tab) all the posts I want to read, hit the "Mark forums read" button, go thru the new posts, respond if desired, then close it all out and come back a few hours or a day or whatever later.

I don't want to beat the dead horse, but if you get into the habit of subscribing to threads as you post in them, you automatically have the "New replies to your threads" functionality.

Just click the checkbox in advanced mode...

I usually check my own post first to see who has responded. Then I just cruise around................................Bruce
    Everyday is a blessing, except maybe tomorrow

I am a "grazer" by nature, perhaps it is ADD, but I think the whole forum is fabulous, Alex.

Thank you for all your hard work.

I also like 'new replies to your posts', as well as 'last 24 hours'.

By the way, for me the poll shows choices 1-4 rather than other options. I clicked on '4' because it's a nice number, not because I agree with what anyone else can see.