Thread: Dont panic

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar

Dont panic

Do you have your wonderful towel handy?

Some of you may or may not have noticed that all the images (or nearly so) on the forums are coming from a weird location.

....cloudfront.net

I have signed up and am paying for Amazon Tier 1 cloud webserving. Basically all the images I point to there are retrieved from the server here and then served from amazon's massive bandwidth pipe. Also, the images are scattered around the country and overseas in realtime so when a users gets an image it is coming from the server closest to them. And man is it fast!

This includes all the banners being served as well. What it does not include is attachments as those are stored as data unfortunately. I may be able to figure that out in the long run though.

Here's the catch. There is no set fee. Rather is priced totally on usage. That means I have no idea how much I will be paying from month to month. Gulp. I am going to run this for a few days to see if I can get a feel for how much this will cost. If it's reasonable it will stay. If not, well, I don't know yet.

I have already seen my bandwidth here cut into about 1/8th of what it was. Holy hell! That's a huge savings in bandwidth. Though that doesn't represent a cost savings for me as its still the same monthly bill. It just means I have more room to grow and the speed will not suffer. For now, its just in testing and its better for all the members as its 1000 times the bandwidth I could ever have here. I have implemented this across most of my forums and some paying clients as well.

Just wanted to keep you in the loop in case someone wonders why that domain is showing up as they use the forums.

Alex
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Feral She-Bunny of Doom™ DoomNymph's Avatar
    Hmmm. Didn't notice at all. Can I panic now that I know?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Lol - other than some silly alarm going off as the images are coming from another domain, you shouldnt notice.
    The only that that should be noticed is that it is much much faster :-)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Hard Core Doomer Swampman - RIP Old Friend's Avatar
    when in trouble, when in doubt
    run in circles, scream and shout
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood.

Minister of Sour Grapes
    Ok, now that you mention it, that is a little weird on my end ... maybe the no-script add-on for Firefox is blocking some images - MSZ's post is totally empty, but when I quote it, a link to an image is revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by MSZ View Post
    Nope, this image's host won't let you hot-link.

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Cat+Pan...db7_544378.gif
    #fuckwashington oh, and #fuckalbany, too

Ack. No images - not from MSZ or Doomsteader.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    ok so who pulled the plug?

i can't see them either... just a box...so this means we can't hotlink?

Thank heavens! We're back! It's ugly when a bunny sweats.

These arent connected.
    The image I serve from here are the button images, my logo, the backgrounds etc.

It doesnt have any effect on images people put in their posts, the avatar images or any other attachment people upload.

:-)

And yes of course you can hotlink but the server that those images are coming from doesnt allow linking.

Sorry bout the down time. Of course it happens right when I am about to go a 3 day trip.

sigh.

just to show an image.

I've been trying to get in for a while, too.

Is this what the cloud does?
    Forests precede us, deserts dog our heels. ~ Derrick Jensen
    What we want is to be self-reliant enough to hold up our end of honorable interdependence. ~ Carol Deppe

funny

Fingerlakes, New York, United States, Planet Earth
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. ...

HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Well - 8 days of use and so far its been a dream (mostly). Little bit clunky when the client replaces images and doesnt want to wait the 12hrs for the normal cycle. But there is a tool for that.
    So far:
    25.692 Gigs transfered
    5,325,736 Requests for files.

Not bad for 8 days ;-)