Thread: Alex, I can't seem to post vids directly, just a link. Any ideas?

Alex, I can't seem to post vids directly, just a link. Any ideas?

This has been going for quite some time. I used to write it off to my using a $98 WallyWorld windows tablet, coupled with slow cellular internet (shrugs)
    but now that I have pretty fast WiFi and a Lamborghini gaming laptop, I'm at a loss as to why, when, I click "post video", and paste-in the URL of a youtube vid, only the link gets posted. Others here don't seem to have that problem. What am I missing?
    #fuckwashington oh, and #fuckalbany, too

I could suggest, looming back at your last video post (AJ video)...

1) you posted "youtu.be" shortened links, not sure it'll follow them...
    2) the links point to a "m.YouTube" mobile YouTube URL - mobile links definitely don't post right (won't get embedded video).

To get around #2, go to the upper right of the YouTube page, you'll see 3 vertical dots, click that and "desktop" and it'll switch YouTube from mobile (m.YouTube) to desktop (www.YouTube) mode, and then cut and paste the www.YouTube link in your post here. You have to use "www" desktop mode URLs to embed, "m." mobile ones wont work.

That used to bug me until I figured it out, at least for You Tube. Don't copy the share link, copy the url in your browser to the vid, and then post that. Works for me.
    "I don't see how we could be stupider here in the west if we actually took courses in stupidity and tried as hard as we could"
    Jordan B. Peterson

"Understand What's Going On"
    Gonzalo Lira (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by czagain View Post
    I could suggest, looming back at your last video post (AJ video)...

1) you posted "youtu.be" shortened links, not sure it'll follow them...
    2) the links point to a "m.YouTube" mobile YouTube URL - mobile links definitely don't post right (won't get embedded video).

To get around #2, go to the upper right of the YouTube page, you'll see 3 vertical dots, click that and "desktop" and it'll switch YouTube from mobile (m.YouTube) to desktop (www.YouTube) mode, and then cut and paste the www.YouTube link in your post here. You have to use "www" desktop mode URLs to embed, "m." mobile ones wont work.
    Thanks, CZ, I'll give that a try

To get around #2, go to the upper right of the YouTube page, you'll see 3 vertical dots, click that and "desktop" and it'll switch YouTube from mobile (m.YouTube) to desktop
    Only thing like that is 3 horizontal dashes on upper left of youtube page, does not offer option of switching desktop/mobile modes.

Maybe it's my browser that's the problem? (Opera)

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsteader View Post
    Only thing like that is 3 horizontal dashes on upper left of youtube page, does not offer option of switching desktop/mobile modes.

Maybe it's my browser that's the problem? (Opera)
    Not sure that'd matter, but it only shows that if you're on a mobile device (phone, tablet), and only if YouTube is on the mobile URL (m.YouTube.com). On a laptop you might not see it. You want the URL from the browser and as "www.youtube.com".

The mobile link (m.youtube) may work in some places might work here if the embed video parser takes it... Doesn't on other forums I'm on (and didn't used to here, haven't tried it in a long time, just make a point when I'm on a mobile device to switch and get a www.YouTube URL since other sites don't).

Definitely avoid the shortened "share" link from YouTube though if you want to embed the video.
    Last edited by czagain; 01-23-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    Yeah its a redirection issue and scripts dont deal well with redirections.

Honestly, I always just click the share button and grab the embed code. That way some watch it without leaving and others can click the youtube icon in the video if they want to actually go to youtube.

iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2LAuzT_x8Ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Split Official Trailer 1 (2017) - M. Night Shyamalan Movie

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, making progress...

Survival Through RECON NYLongbow's Avatar
    Yep. Easy peasy.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."